We have tried to compile the best directions for driving to Stratton Mountain Vermont.
Rule No. 1. Avoid putting in "Stratton" as a destination into Google. Please follow our instructions for a map search.
"Stratton", entered into a search engine, will lead you to an old path through the woods to the 1800's Town of Stratton. It will take you an extra half hour, at least to reach the Stratton Mountain Resort. If you have to use a map search, look for Bondville, VT, zip = 05340, which is the town at the base of the Stratton Mountain access road. You can also search for "Manchester, VT, zip = 05255" and then "Bondville, Vermont" if coming up from the South or West. You can search for "Brattleboro, VT, zip = 05301", then "Townshend, VT", then "Bondville, VT, zip = 05340", when coming up Route 30 from the South or East.
Rule No. 2. Follow Rule No. 1. Do not put "Stratton" into a Map Search.
For 2009, we have added a different printed set of directions provided by a Stratton townhome owner. These are the best routes from the South of Vermont.
Take the Throgs Neck Bridge to I-95 N/E to New Haven, Conn.
(With the construction on I-95, if you like roads with only a few stops, some people prefer to take the Hutch up to the Merrit then East to 91. An alternative is the Hutch up to 684 and then 84 East to Hartford and then up North on 91.)
(Or for a Friday evening, from LI, take the Port Jefferson Ferry, which leaves you in Bridgeport on I-95. Go East.)
At New Haven, take I-91 North through Hartford Conn., then through Springfield, Mass. to Vermont, Exit 2 on I-91. (Do not take Exit 1 which is on Google, unless you want to go through Brattleboro and take an extra 15 minutes.)
When you get off Exit 2, at the end of the exit loop, turn left on to Rt.9 East to Rt.30 North. In Brattleboro, take Rt.30 North, 34 plus miles to Bondville.
Turn left on to the Stratton Access Road, just past the Norse House Ski Shop. Go four miles to the Stratton Village.
Note: Your last late night stop for gas and some food is at Christy's (7/11) at the far left corner of the Stratton access road.
Quick Directions from Boston
From the airport, take the Tunnel to I-93 South for a few short exits. Stay to the right and take I-90 West. (Go about 90 miles, past Worchester, towards Sprinfield and Albany). Stay on Route I-90 West to I-91 North, just North of Springfield. Stay on 91 North to Exit 2 in Vermont. Follow directions from Conn.
As an alternative, which saves 30 miles, take Rt.2 in Mass. West to I-91 North in Greenfield (but avoid this road in bad weather).
Find your way to the NYS Thruway, I-87 North ( For example, on I-95 North, take Exit 21 to I-287 West, the Cross Westchester, in Westchester to get to NY Thruway, I-87 North.) Go North on I-87 to Albany to exit 23 for I-787, the Northway.
Take I-787 to Exit 7 for Rt.7 East.
Follow NY Rt.7 East through Troy towards Bennington, Vt. (NY Rt.7 changes its number at the Vermont border and becomes Vt. Rt.9 East.) Right before the border of Vermont, there is a Bennington Bypass (Route 279). Just stay straight on NY Route 7 to take this bypass, and it will take you to Vermont Route 7 north. (To stop in Bennington, make a right at this intersection.)
Go up Rt. 7 (the express 7 or sometimes called "super 7") to Exit 4, Manchester. (On reader just told us the sign was knocked down.)
At the Manchester exit, turn right, go about 7+ miles on Rt.11 / 30 North. (For your major food stop and other shopping, turn left at the Manchester exit and go one mile into Manchester shopping.)
At about 7 miles, make a right and take Rt.30 South about 8 miles to Bondville. (If you get to Bromley, you missed this turn.)
Please note: When you are on Rt. 30 South, pay close attention to the first turn about 1/2 mine on Rt. 30. Please go slowly, especially in icy weather. There seem to be a lot of accidents there. Our theory is that everyone has driven now driven up on major roads for a few hours, and this is the first windy sharp Vermont turn going slightly downhill that you come to.
Turn right on to the Stratton access road, right after Christy's, the 7/11. If it is not late, a great spot for groceries is the Winhall Market on the left. If it is late, Christy's is the only all-night place. For the Stratton Village, go up the road about four miles.
Detailed Directions through Connecticut
1. Take I-95 North (and East) through Westchester, which is approximately 18 miles in NY from the Throgs Neck Bridge. Continue on I-95 to New Haven, approximately 47 more miles. (If you prefer to skip New Haven, you can cut on to the Merritt North, Rt. 15, at exit 37 on I-95. This will cut back into I-91 North at exit 68 on the Merritt.)
2. At New Haven, stay in the left lanes and take I-91 North. Stay on I-91 N all the way to Vermont. First go through Hartford, Conn., then Springfield, Mass. Just after Springfield, there is a good stopping point at Ingleside, Exit 15. There is a Friendly's, a gas station, Pizzaria Uno in the mall and a Christmas Tree shop, for inexpensive bargains. (Note: please watch your speed on I-91, especially Friday afternoons between exits 17 and 23 in Mass. and about 5 miles into Vermont.)
3. In Vermont, take Exit 2 Brattleboro. Curve around the exit ramp and make a left on to Rt.9 East towards Rt.30 North. In Brattleboro, at the bottom of the hill, make a left and follow Rt.30 North. Rt.30 will veer around to the left and then turns right, in Brattleboro. (To get around the Brattleboro traffic, you can make a left off Rt. 9 on to Cedar Street, with the round white picket fence on the far corner. The left is about 1/2 mile from Exit 2 just past the convenience store on the right. Pay attention to the stop signs. After the second stop sign you pass the first ski jump in the US. Go slowly at the bottom of this road and make a sharp left. Do not take this road when it is snowing or icy.) Notes: Please watch your speed exiting Brattleboro. If you go to I-91 Exit 3, where there is a Rt.9 sign, go back to Exit 2 or go back through Brattleboro to pick up Rt.30.)
4. Stay on Rt.30 North (and it also goes West) through Townshend, then Jamaica, etc. In Townshend, you will have to make a left to stay on Rt.30. The Townsend Pizza is on the left hand corner. Rt.30 will connect with Rt.100 for a short time. When they separate, continue to stay on Rt.30 to Bondville, Vt. From the Vermont I-91 exit 2, it is more than 34 miles to Bondville.
5. Make a left at the Stratton Mountain sign on to the access road. It is just past the Norse House Ski Shop. If you reach Christy's, the 7/11 you have gone to far. 6. Go four miles (actually 3.8 miles) to the Stratton Village. The Long Trail condominiums (big yellow buildings) will be on your left, the Village on your right. The Stratton Welcome center has all the information and is on the right.
Directions from Hartford Airport
From the Airport you want to go East then North on I 91 towards Springfield, Massuchetts. 1. Go East, first on Schoephoester Road to CT Route 75 South. Continue on CT Route 75 South for about 3/4 miles. 2. Merge on to CT Route 20 East towards Springfield (and Hartford) for about 2 miles. 3. Merge on to I 91 North by staying left. 4. Take I 91 North through Massachusetts. 5. Take Exit 2 in Vermont for Brattleboro. Turn left on Route 9 towards VT Route 30. Follow directions above, from point 3.
If you have better directions, directions up the Taconic, directions from other places, or questions, please email us at email@example.com or call 631 587-1060.